Saturday, April 14, 2007

ROBBY the ROBOT
Put me in a room with some A-list hot tamale and I'll yak it up for an hour but put me in a room with Robby the Robot and I just clam right up! (this fact was clearly pointed out to me this afternoon by Dave) And holy crap it's true! Today is the science fiction big to-do in Burbank and apparently Robby the Robot is there, hanging out, posing for portraits, without me! That's it, I'm now totally calling up Fred Barton and scheduling a meeting. Could I honestly nerd out any harder right now? But really, Robby is the King of Bots. Sorry R2.
If you've ever seen Forbidden Planet, you know exactly who I'm talking about. He made his big film debut in this movie in 1956 and has been world renowned since. He was also in The Invisible Boy and soon moved right on into a television career with Lost in Space, The Addams Family and The Twilight Zone just to name a few. Seriously, a robot with a career? The original Robby was vandalized by some asswads in the 70's and deteriorated a bit so Mr. Barton created an exact replica which is who's hanging out over in Burbank today. The original Robby has been fully restored and the 7 foot tall bot now lives in the huge house of some fancy big private collector. Lucky guy! So yes, I now must have tea with Mr. Fancy Private collector so I can simply hella nerd out.

No comments: